Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Sing a Song of the Saints of God

I sing a song of the saints of God,
patient and brave and true,
who toiled and fought and lived and died
for the Lord they loved and knew.
And one was a doctor, and one was a queen,
and one was a shepherdess on the green;
they were all of them saints of God, and I mean, God helping, to be one too.

They loved their Lord so dear, so dear,
and his love made them strong;
and they followed the right for Jesus' sake
the whole of their good lives long.
And one was a soldier, and one was a priest,
and one was slain by a fierce wild beast;
and there's not any reason, no, not the least,
why I shouldn't be one too.

They lived not only in ages past;
there are hundreds of thousands still.
The world is bright with the joyous saints
who love to do Jesus' will.
You can meet them in school, or in lanes or at sea,
In church, or in trains or in shops or at tea,
for the saints of God are just folk like me,
and I mean to be one too.
(Lyrics: Lesbia Scott)

This is definitely one of the reasons I love being Episcopalian! I love this song, and I'd never heard it as a Baptist. We will be singing it this morning, as we celebrate All Saint's Day. Technically, on the church calendar, All Saint's was yesterday, but we are given the freedom to "translate" this feast day to the following Sunday, so we go for it at St. Paul's. We will be praying for the saints in glory. We will read a necrology, listing all the names of family, friends and church members who have died this year.

We lost a faithful church member this week -- Newt Millen, a wonderful man who was 90 years young. We will be celebrating his life in a memorial service on November 14th. I am remembering so many who are now with the saints, and giving thanks for their impact on my life.

Who do you give thanks for today who is no longer with you, except in spirit? Give God the glory for all those wonderful people, parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles who loved and nurtured you -- and continue to bless you from heaven! May you have a joyous week...

No comments: